Elizabeth GRECH, Paris, translator & proofreader, cultural project manager
Translations from French and Italian to English:
Responsible for the English version of the MEDITERRA Report (2013, 2016, 2018) published by the CIHEAM (International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies) in Paris with Sciences Po Presses; translation of Social, Political and Human Sciences research articles (researchers at CNRS laboratories at the University Paris Dauphine and Paris 8) since 2011; translation of articles for Babelmed.net between 2009-2012; collaboration with Noria-DP (Développements Partagés) and the Club Demeter, private company providing consultancy services to the economic, social and creative sectors, translation of texts for the video art festival Instants video numériques et poétiques, Marseille; translations for Mana Chuma (theatre company, Italy).
Literary translations from Maltese into French:
Maltese writers and/or poets (Adrian Grima, Antoine Cassar, John Aquilina, John Portelli, Clare Azzoppardi and Norbert Bugeja) whose works have been presented in many literary festivals (former Festival of Lodève and European Voices France, Passaporta, Belgium) and published in various journals.
Poetry writing in Maltese, different publications and works translated into various languages (English, Italian, French, Romanian, Albanian, Mandarin, Nepali and Greek).
Management of collaborative cultural projects in the Mediterranean:
Analysis and advice on the feasibility of cultural projects; evaluation of grant applications; network coordination; research and dissemination of information in different languages; fundraising; organisation of meetings in France and in Mediterranean countries; sound knowledge of the cultural and artistic sector in the Mediterranean (especially the MENA region). Networking and international relations with Mana Chuma, theatre company (Italy).
Mana Chuma (theatre company, Reggio Calabria, Italy)
January 2019 –
International relations, networking and development of collaborative projects in the Mediterranean;
Translations of documents and website;
Translation of “Come un granello di sabbia” performance by Massimo Barilla and Salvatore Arena (it – fr).
Musée d’art moderne et contemporain de Saint-Etienne métropole (France)
Translation of documents
CIRVA – Centre international de recherche sur le verre et les arts plastiques (Marseille, France)
Translation of documents
Théâtre 13 vents (Centre national d’art dramatique, Montpellier, France)
Translation of presentations of artists and performances
Tamara Lise (French artist)
Literary translations of texts from French into English.
CIHEAM (International Centre for Advances Mediterranean Agronomic Studies), Paris
January 2017 –
Writing, proofreading, editing, translations for the Web site;
Participation to the preparation of press releases;
Management of the press review on Scoop.it.
Artistic project Wiċċna, Malte
WIĊĊNA (in Maltese: Our Face) will be a book of photographic portraits of individuals from different backgrounds, generations and ethnicities currently residing in Malta.
Translation of a text on the project written by Philippe Parizot.
Médecins sans frontières, Paris
Translation of texts presenting the actions of MSF
FAI-AR Formation supérieure d’art en espace public, Marseille
February 2018 –
Translation of texts in the framework of the MOOC project
Gallimard loisirs, Paris
Proofreading for Cartovilles – Malte
February – April 2018
Updating of Cartoville Malte, writing of articles and itineraries for Géoguide coup de coeur Malte
Freedom Voices Network and Premières Lignes, Paris
Translation of texts and interviews in the framework of the “Daphne’s Project” – Forbidden Stories and the production of a documentary film.
Le Comptoir des Voyages, Paris
February – March 2017
Blog article and photos on Malta;
Writing of a guide on Malta.
Club Demeter, Paris
February 2017 –
Translation of articles on the agro-food industry.
Fondation René Seydoux pour le monde méditerranéen, Paris
March 2006 – June 2016
– Management of the Mediterranean Directory, online database that features organisations and journals focusing on the Euro-med region; research analysis, data processing and updates, writing and translation of notes on organisations and journals;
– Management and coordination of the website and Facebook page;
– Network coordination (the René Seydoux Foundation was the Head of Network of the French Network of the Anna Lindh Foundation);
– Application for, management and follow-up of public and private grants;
– Coordination and management of collaborative cultural projects;
– Consulting and technical support provided to cultural operators for the planning of cultural and artistic projects exchanges;
– Participation to and organisation of meetings, workshops and conferences (administration, logistics and content) in France and in the MENA region;
– Management, assessment and follow-up of grant requests;
– Supervision and training of interns and/or employees; definition of the profiles sought and participation to recruitment processes;
– Creation and coordination of the blog of the itinerary workshop on cultural exchanges in the MediterraneanPensée et pratiques de l’échange culturel en Méditerranée launched by the Foundation in 2012 brining together cultural operators, human and social scientists and artists.
Les Instants vidéo numériques et poétiques, Marseille
Translation of texts from French into English in the framework of the annual Festival des Instants vidéo poétiques et numériques.
October 2009 – October 2012
– Coordination of a network of English speaking journalists in the Mediterranean;
– Establishment of partnerships with other independent media in the region;
– Editing, correction and translation of articles (French-English-French, Italian-English);
– Writing of a cultural agenda, articles in English and in French;
– Coordination of the Facebook page.
Musée national du Sport, Paris
Management of the loan of photos, follow-up of photography campaigns, digitalisation and database management.
MuCEM,(Musée des civilisations de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée), Marseille
Collection mission on gender construction in Malta in the framework of the preparation of one of the opening exhibitions of the museum in 2013, Le bazar du genre
Collaborator of an anthropologist (Patrick Fournier)
Technical support, writing, fieldwork and publication of La Bièvre, la Haute Vallée, coll. Mémoire en Images, Vol. I, II, III, Alan Sutton Publishers, 2002 – 2003.
Internship at the Musée national d’arts et traditions populaires
Participation to the organisation of the preparatory exhibition of the MUCEM entitled Parlez-moi d’Alger, presentation, research of objects and documentary research.
University Diploma in Arabic
Sorbonne University, Paris IV
DESS Tourism Development and Planning
University Lumière, Lyon II
Licence (BA) and Masters in Ethnology
University of Provence, Aix-Marseille I
Maltese and English: maternal languages
Italian: very fluent
World music, photography, literature (poetry) – writing, organisation of readings, and regular practice of Hatha yoga since 2008.
Board member (networks and international relations) of HELA (Hub for Excellence in the Literary arts), Malta.
ATLAS-CITL – Association pour la promotion de la traduction littéraire;
ATLF – Association des traducteurs littéraires de France www.atlf.org;
Inizjamed, Maltese NGO devoted to the promotion of literary and translation exchanges in the Mediterranean;
French Euromed Network, a platform of French civil society organisations working in/with the Mediterranean;
SACD – Société des auteurs et compositeurs dramatiques.
Babelmed.net, an online magazine devoted to Mediterranean cultures and societies.